[sslh] sslh-1.9 released!

Yves Rutschle yves at naryves.com
Thu Aug 18 22:41:22 CEST 2011

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 03:16:12AM +0100, higuita wrote:
> 	I downloaded the 1.9 version, compiled it on slackware64 and
> then i tried to use ipv6 address... and it always fail, dont even
> start... this are the tests i have done:

Ok, the code in 1.10 is quite different, I'd be grateful if
you could try all that again using it.

> -to a interface:
>  /usr/sbin/sslh -u nobody -p eth0:443 -s localhost:22 -l localhost:443
> Name or service not known `eth0'

OTOH there is no reason this should work: I don't think it's
even possible for a program to know what IP address
corresponds to what interface.

> 	i also would like to ask for a feature request... due to the
> fact that some webapps check for the port they are running, it would
> be great  that sslh could bind to a interface instead just IPs, this
> way we could free the lo interface for apache and use the other
> network interfaces for sslh, for whatever ip they could have.

This already works. IP addresses already identify
interfaces: each interface has one or several IP address,
but one IP address is not normally shared between several
interfaces (except if you're bridging them, but then you
specifically want both interfaces to behave the same).

Typically you can set up Apache to listen on localhost:443
(127.0.0.1:443), using directive Listen in its configuration
(in /etc/apache2/ports.conf in Debian), and then you set up
sslh to listen to the network interface's address, e.g.
sslh --listen 192.168.0.1:443

Cheers,
Y.