[sslh] potential bug on Mac OS X 10.6?

Yves Rutschle yves at naryves.com
Tue Dec 17 09:20:06 CET 2013

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 12:11:11PM -0700, Michael wrote:
> sudo sslh -p 0.0.0.0:443 --ssl localhost:777 --ssh localhost:999
>
> I have my ssh and ssl ports in non-standard locations due to ISP filtering.

You could have the servers listen to both the standard port
on localhost, and 777/999 on the external IP. But this is
irrelevant here.

> Anyway, after running the above command I have no trouble connecting to my
> https server using port 443.  But when I try to connect via ssh (e.g. "ssh
> -p 443 myhost" under linux) the connection seems to hang.  I added the "-f"
> option and see the following output:
>
> connection from remote:51760 to local:https forwarded from localhost:59128
> to localhost:777
>
> So it appears that it is trying to forward my ssh connection to the web
> server.
>
> Am I doing something wrong?  Is there potentially a bug?  My server is
> running Mac OS X 10.6 as it's a fairly old machine and that's the newest OS
> version that is supports.

Nothing obviously wrong in your setup.

Can you try to capture the traffic between ssh and sslh,
e.g. assuming the machine you connect from is called
'client' and the machine you connect to is called 'server':

server# tcpdump -s0 -X host client and port 443

> I don't see anything in the change log for versions 1.14 and 1.15 that
> appear to relate to an issue such as this.

I think I'm going to need to add a 'debug' mode where each
probe explains what it's doing...

Y.