[sslh] Zombies on Mac OS X

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Sun Sep 9 02:15:37 CEST 2012

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Yves Rutschle <yves at naryves.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 12:50:55AM -0400, Arno Hautala wrote:
>
> Sorry it took me so long to get back to you...

No problem, I'm not currently using this in a critical environment or anything.

>> What I'm seeing now is a new process for each connection (regardless
>> of the type) which then zombifies when the connection closes.
>
> i.e. 10 connections, 10 zombies that stay behind
> indefinitely?

Indefinite is hard to say, but I haven't seen the zombies die off
unless I kill all the sslh-fork processes.

>> Any help is appreciated and I'm happy to recompile and debug if it helps.
>
> Wimpy way out: use sslh-select which doesn't fork.

Ah, I'll check that out.

> Better way out: run with verbose:true in the configuration
> and report the messages that happen.

Will do. I'll report back as soon as I get a chance to test it.

> sslh sets SA_NOCLDWAIT which requests children to be reaped
> automatically; it's not clear to me whether that is
> Linux-specific or standard, so I imagine MacOSX could
> differ, but it hasn't been reported by MacOSX or FreeBSD
> users so I'm a bit surprised.

Yeah, I went back and researched previous zombie problems and I was
surprised as well.

Thanks for responding and I'll let you know what verbose presents.

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448