[sslh] Zombies on Mac OS X

Yves Rutschle yves at naryves.com
Sat Sep 8 19:41:17 CEST 2012

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 12:50:55AM -0400, Arno Hautala wrote:

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you...

> What I'm seeing now is a new process for each connection (regardless
> of the type) which then zombifies when the connection closes.

i.e. 10 connections, 10 zombies that stay behind
indefinitely?

> Any help is appreciated and I'm happy to recompile and debug if it helps.

Wimpy way out: use sslh-select which doesn't fork.

Better way out: run with verbose:true in the configuration
and report the messages that happen.

sslh sets SA_NOCLDWAIT which requests children to be reaped
automatically; it's not clear to me whether that is
Linux-specific or standard, so I imagine MacOSX could
differ, but it hasn't been reported by MacOSX or FreeBSD
users so I'm a bit surprised.

Cheers,
Y.