[sslh] sslh 1.6i-4 / Don't work over wan, but ok in lan !

Yves Rutschle yves at naryves.com
Sat Jan 15 16:05:59 CET 2011

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 02:23:01PM +0100, Grégory Bulot wrote:
> Because it's the default version stable for Ubuntu 10.10 (the latest
> one)

Ubutuntu more out of date than Debian, now here is something
new...

To be fair, I don't think upgrading will help your problem.

> Those don't work (from wan):
> | accepted fd 4
> | Jan 15 16:03:14 203 sslh[15427]: connection from 92.90.X.X:41227
> | forwarded to SSL connected to something
> | server socket closed
> | connection closed down
>
> Why ssl from outside instead ssh ?

Ok, so it's not a libwrap problem then (you'd get a
"permission denied" message).

New theory: the ssh client you use on your phone is strange.
(as in, does not wait for the server banner to arrive before
starting protocol negociation).

- Can you connect using a "normal" ssh client (openssh or
  putty are known to work)?
- Can you provide a tcpdump trace of an ssh connection:
  tcpdump -X -s 0 port 443

(having closed all other ssh and sslh connection first, so
we only see the new connection happening)

Y.