[sslh] SSLH vs OpenVPN port-share

Sean Warner plica2006 at gmail.com
Sat May 25 19:37:31 UTC 2019

Hello,

I'm going to set up an OpenVPN server on a Pi inside my home network. I will
connect to it from outside my LAN over port 443. I also want to keep my web
server available to accept connections over 443 so I will use SSLH.

But I notice that OpenVPN already has a kind of SSLH feature embedded into
its code.. you can use port-share in the OpenVPN config file.

E.g:

port-share 127.0.0.1 4545

Now if it detects non OpenVPN protocols it will forward the communication to
port 4545 on ip address 127.0.0.1

See here:

http://www.vpntutorials.com/tutorials/openvpn-sharing-a-port-with-a-webserve
r-on-port-80-443/

I'm just wondering is there any advantage to using sslh to demultiplex
communications to OpenVPN? I suppose there might be a performance hit on
OpenVPN if you configure it to act like a demultiplexer as well as a VPN
server? Is it more efficient to use SSLH or would there be any noticeable
difference in speed of OpenVPN?

Cheers,

Sean