[sslh] sslh vs. haproxy -- ssh over https

Yves Rutschle yves at rutschle.net
Tue Aug 13 21:06:52 UTC 2019

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 01:36:09PM +0200, Alexander Huemer wrote:
> With haproxy I have tested a bit more and believe I have found a feature
> that haproxy provided that sslh is lacking. Please confirm/deny if you
> can: 'ssh over https' in contrast to ssh over port 443 shared with
> https. Can sslh do that as well? If so, where can I find documentation?

If you mean 'ssh over tls', yes, there is an example in the
configuration guide, paragraph "Using proxytunnel with sslh".

If you actually mean 'ssh over https', I'm not sure what
that would be but am all ears :-)

> Apart from that feature it seems like sslh is actually more versatile
> than haproxy for multiplexing as putting services like openvpn on 443
> also seems straight forward with sslh whereas the haproxy people advise
> their tool is not the right one for such task.

A recent discussion here
(https://github.com/yrutschle/sslh/issues/237) suggests
haproxy is more efficient than sslh (it was important on a
setup that handle lots (tens of thoursands) of connections).
Ideally I'd like to have a look at how they do that :-)

Y.