[sslh] sslh vs. haproxy -- ssh over https

Alexander Huemer cheegheit6eG at xx.vu
Tue Aug 13 11:36:09 UTC 2019

Hi

I was recently looking into possibilities to multiplex several services
onto a single tcp port and found the obvious technologies sslh and
haproxy.
After trying out both I believe I found distinctive features of the two
solutions and would like to clarify whether my impressions are correct.

So far I have only tested https and ssh multiplexing with sslh, that
works entirely without fuzz.

With haproxy I have tested a bit more and believe I have found a feature
that haproxy provided that sslh is lacking. Please confirm/deny if you
can: 'ssh over https' in contrast to ssh over port 443 shared with
https. Can sslh do that as well? If so, where can I find documentation?

Apart from that feature it seems like sslh is actually more versatile
than haproxy for multiplexing as putting services like openvpn on 443
also seems straight forward with sslh whereas the haproxy people advise
their tool is not the right one for such task.

Kind regards,
-Alex