[sslh] SSLH for XMPP related services

Nk nk at os.vu
Thu Nov 2 18:16:49 UTC 2017

Very interesting thanks!

A few questions:

1] I’m doing all of my config in /etc/default/sslh, is it possible to add the required config there without the need for a separate file?

This is the current config:

RUN=yes

DAEMON=/usr/sbin/sslh

DAEMON_OPTS="--user sslh -p <public_IPv4>:443 -p <public_IPv6>:443 --ssh 127.0.0.1:22 --ssl 127.0.0.1:443 --xmpp 127.0.0.1:5222 --pidfile /var/run/sslh/sslh.pid”

2] I see that ejabberd will implement 0368 in v17.09 [the repo I use still provides v17.08], but I can’t find any documentation on how to enable it on v17.09 anyway.

3] Does this mean that basically ejabberd will listen on 5223 and clients like conversations [if configured to use 5223 without SSLH] would automatically know to use such port for all connections, even, for instance, HTTP upload [that currently uses port 5444]? If so how does conversations know to route all traffic on 5223?

4] If point 3 is true and SSLH comes into play, how does SSLH distinguish between SSL traffic destined for ejabberd and that destined for nginx? And how does conversations know that behind port 443 actually then sends traffic to an "all-inclusive" port like 5223?

5] How do I set the default behaviour between ejabberd and nginx HTTPS traffic?

Thanks so much!

Nk