[sslh] Connection drop after one hour?

Yves Rutschle yves at rutschle.net
Thu Sep 1 13:21:33 UTC 2016

Hi Christian,

On Thu, Sep 01, 2016 at 02:38:03PM +0200, Christian Hoene wrote:
> I just have been told that a OpenVPN connection is disconnected after about
> 1h, if relayed over sslh.
>
> In OpenVPN, we set renec-sec to one day - thus, this should not be the
> problem.
>
> Is sslh dropping connection after some time?

Nope, I've personally used it with ssh session over days.
Connections are only closed when one of the remote ends
closes, they are never initiated by sslh.

I'd guess they put sslh in front of OpenVPN and didn't
enable tcp_keepalive on sslh (any keepalive fron openvpn
would be "eaten" by sslh then, while sslh wouldn't produce
any on the Internet side) and some firewall would timeout
the connections?

Y.