[sslh] how to manage a dynamic address

Yves Rutschle yves at naryves.com
Wed Jul 23 08:26:44 CEST 2014

Hi Rick,

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 04:43:39PM -0400, Rick Bolen(gm) wrote:
> What options are there for managing a dynamic address from the WAN?
>
> I like the simplicity of defining all services as 127.0.0.1:<port>,
> since this is a single server environment, but it is possible the
> WAN interface (eth0) IP address could change during runtime.

sslh binds to whatever address is given to it in the
--listen parameter; if you specify 0.0.0.0 that means "on
all interfaces", however I am not sure whether that catches
address changes or not...

If it doesn't, then the answer to your question is that the
only solution is to restart sslh to listen to the new
address (this shouldn't be too hard, presumably upon address
change you get a number of scripts called for that
purpose...).

I'll return your question with two more:
- What do other 'serious' servers (e.g. Apache) do in that
  situation?
- What would you expect sslh to do?

It feels to me like it would be inefficient to monitor for
address changes (how often?). I'll have a look at Apache to
see what it does.

Y.