[sslh] OpenVPN - UDP does not work

Yves Rutschle yves at rutschle.net
Sun Apr 13 11:04:32 CEST 2014

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 10:43:17AM +0200, Boris Filipovic
wrote:
> Hi, I'm running sslh on openwrt and it works fine. Only
> issue I have is that OpenVPN works only with proto tcp
> (without sslh it works with both proto tcp or proto udp).
> Is it normal behavior?

If you're talking about the transport protocol between the
OpenVPN client and the OpenVPN server, then yes, sslh
expects TCP. If you want to transport the VPN over UDP, I
suppose you could make the OpenVPN server directly listen to
443/udp, as I don't think anyone ever uses HTTPS over UDP.
Whether that would go through a firewall is another question
entirely...

On the other hand, an OpenVPN client and server connected
with TCP should have no difficulty transporting UDP from
"within" the VPN, over the TCP connection.

Cheers,
Y.