[sslh] Fw: sslh for windows broken? ***ISSUE RESOLVED***

Yves Rutschle yves at naryves.com
Fri Oct 26 21:41:37 CEST 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 11:58:28AM -0700, Michael Avanessian wrote:
> The problem is because of something so silly!
>
> sslh -p listeningport--ssl localhost:80 --ssh localhost:22
> Will only work for SSL, not SSH!!
>
> sslh -p listeningport--ssh localhost:22 --ssl localhost:80
> Will work for both SSL and SSH!!

Ah. I did change the way protocols are probed so that
they're tried in the order in which they are specified.

There is a new --http probe as well, which should make the
first configuration work.

> So...Yves, you may consider putting a small note for
> Windows users to always put ssh parameter BEFORE ssl
> parameter.  Otherwise, they may try using the example
> mentioned in the README; which wont work (at least in
> standalone mode with -p parameter).  Or, maybe you can fix
> the issue so it is consistent with all other versions.

It's not specific to Windows -- What I do need to do is
update the README to take the new way of handling parameters
into account, and to clearly document how protocols are
tried. (There are 2 special cases: timeout and default; and
things are tried in order. If no timeout and no default is
specified, SSLH picks something but I can't remember if it's
the first or the last or what. That needs to be made clear
in the documentation).

> Anyway, thank you so much for this great tool!  If you do
> fix this issue, maybe you would consider replacing the
> Window binary you posted with a newer one that works
> exactly like the other builds.

Like said above, it's really a version that changes the way
parameters are handled rather than a build difference (well,
I hope).

Thank you for the extensive feedback, sorry I haven't been
more responsive with your problem (day job taking over my
life...)

Y.