[sslh] URL to sslh 1.13 for Windows package (with Cygwin)

Yves Rutschle yves at naryves.com
Sun Oct 21 22:57:30 CEST 2012

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 08:02:37PM +0000, Michael K.
Avanessian wrote:
> Thanks so much Yves!!!
>
> The reason I asked for an example command line (to work
> with a proxytunnel -e + SSH client) is because linux and
> windows have some differences.  For example Windows
> doesn't even have  inetd. So, unfortunately the command
> line you gave me doesn't work with a normal
> default-setting stunnel installation on windows.

You shouldn't need inetd to use sslh's inetd mode -- it's
really just a different way to interact with its
environment.

> All I did was install stunnel with all default settings
> (which creates a self-signed cert stunnel.pem).  I also
> copied "sslh-select-1.13b.exe" and "cygwin1.dll" in the
> stunnel directory.  Running the below command does NOT
> work; and produces an error "Stunnel server is down due to
> an error".  It pops up a window showsing (invalid
> stunnel.conf).  I have tried with and without -I
> parameter.
>
> stunnel -f -p stunnel.pem  -d mkanetpc:443 -l sslh -- sslh -i  --http localhost:80 --ssh localhost:22

I would suspect that you have stunnel 4 installed, which
IIRC only uses a configuration file and doesn't accept many
command line parameters. You'll need to look up how to
configure your stunnel.conf to do what you want it to do. I
can't help much there as I haven't really used stunnel 4.

Note that instead of using sslh's inetd mode as above, you
can run sslh listening on one port and get stunnel to
forward to that port:

stunnel -f -p stunnel.pem -d mkanetpc:443 -r 5000
sslh -p mkanetpc:5000 --http localhost:80 --ssh localhost:22

The good thing about this method is that it lets you test
both sides independently to help find what is not working.

Y.