[sslh] ssh protocol and server-starting

Yves Rutschle yves at naryves.com
Thu Feb 9 18:01:26 CET 2012

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 04:35:27PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> > That typically indicates a problem with your DNS setup
> Yeah, but wouldn't that affect connections, not startup?  Or is it
> trying to look up some local address that might not be in /etc/hosts?

At startup it's going to resolve the addresses passed to -p,
--ssl, --ssh and so on. Actually that wouldn't change
whether you had -n or not.

> Anyway, -n seems like a good idea, else people accessing from sites
> with broken DNS may be slowing things down a lot.  This is similar
> reasoning to why Apache HTTP Server defaults HostnameLookups Off now.
> Maybe it should be the default behaviour in sslh too.

This shouldn't be much of a problem for the fork version (it
would only slow down connections for that particular
client), but it would make sense to make it the default for
the select version indeed.

No guarantees I'll do it though, I don't like changing
default behaviours :)

Y.