[sslh] ssh protocol and server-starting

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Feb 9 15:31:42 CET 2012

Yves Rutschle <yves at naryves.com>
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 11:37:04AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> > dbclient from dropbear doesn't seem to, so sslh sends it to SSL which
> > then fails. I'm patching it, but it will make dropbear slightly
> > larger, so I anticipate resistance.  I looked at the RFCs but couldn't
> > actually see why it could be called a bug for sure.
>
> What version of sslh are you talking about? "Bold" client
> (that speak first) weren't supported before sslh 1.8.

Yes, sorry about that: 1.6 but I've now upgraded to 1.10.

I asked before upgrading because I thought the principle was so
fundamental to sslh's operation that it wouldn't have changed but I'm
glad that it has.

I only discovered after sending that sslh at rutschle is a mailing list
(I see that's now mentioned in the README, but it wasn't in 1.6!) so I
waited until I could see my email before trying to reply... but you
beat me to it.

One quirk: it seemed that -n was required to avoid a very slow start.
I'll try to investigate that more when the server is less busy but it
could have been a temporary problem.

Apologies,