[sslh] sslh-1.14 (AE) released!

Matt Smith matt at xtaz.co.uk
Thu Dec 20 22:42:09 CET 2012

On 2012-12-20 21:35, Yves Rutschle wrote:

> There always has been a --ssh option, which detects... ssh.
>
> The thing about ssh is that clients get a choice of speaking
> first (in which case the protocol will be detected by the
> --ssh probe as any other protocol) or waiting until the
> server speaks (in which case sslh will time out and branch
> to either the --on-timeout-specified protocol or ssh by
> default).

Between me sending my email and receiving this I had gone and read the
source code and figured out what was going on here. But thanks for
clarifying.

> The first specified protocol, which I'll admit is entirely
> arbitrary.

I had also tested this by adding and removing the parameter and seeing
what happened. In my case it sent it to ssh which is undesirable as I
would rather it went to ssl. Makes sense though if it uses the first one
that is specified as for me that is ssh. Now I know that I can change
the order.

One other thing I noticed from reading the source code is that --tls
and --ssl appear to use the same probe. So does this mean there is no
actual difference between the two options and both will do the same
thing and are just provided for personal preference?

Thanks very much for the new version anyway, looks good!

Cheers, Matt.