[sslh] Foreground mode.

Yves Rutschle yves at naryves.com
Sat Apr 21 13:53:13 CEST 2012

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 12:42:00PM +0200, Seblu wrote:
> All seems to be ok.

Thanks for the feedback.

> I propose you a little patch about make install.
>
> 1) Install sslh-select and ssl-fork and create a symlink to sslh-fork

I don't think installing software that the user doesn't
want/need is a good thing. I could add further install
targets to choose which sort you use:

make install_select
make install_fork

but I wouldn't want to impose installing both versions when
most people will only want one.

> 2) move binary into /bin and not /sbin. There is no reason of having
> sslh under /sbin, daemon run without root priv and can be launched by
> user (defaut behaviour)

Default is /usr/local/sbin rather than /sbin.

I don't think I agree with your reasonning: */sbin is full
of programs that normal users can run (e.g. netstat,
ifconfig, ...) but which are intended for administration. I
don't think normal users would have a use case for sslh, as
the standard use is to put it behind port 443 which only
root can do.

> Do you know when you'll drop the next version?

I'll add the HTTP probe we talked about yesterday on the
list and release 1.11, so that should be within a week,
depending on weather :)

Cheers,
Y.