[sslh] sslh 1.6i-4 / Don't work over wan, but ok in lan !

Yves Rutschle yves at naryves.com
Sat Jan 15 13:03:06 CET 2011

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 11:16:03AM +0100, diffusion at bulot-fr.com wrote:
> I'm sslh new user

Why use a version that's almost two years old? Please use
1.7 at least.

> sslh works fine in my lan
> 	- https [my fqdn with local ip or with direct ip] : Ok to https
> 	  web server
> 	- ssh -p 443 [my fqdn with local ip or with direct ip] : Ok to
> 	  ssh server
>

> But from internet (web phone in french 3G connection,
> work's place):
> 	- https works,
> 	- not ssh ! : connection closed immediatly

Check /var/log/auth.log where you'll see both sslh and sshd
messages.

Does connecting directly to ssh work from the Internet (i.e.
if you either connect directly to port 22, or put sshd on
port 443 without sslh in front of it)?

My guess is that you have LIBWRAP support enabled and not
enabled ssh connections from the Internet. You'd need
something like:
sshd: ALL
in /etc/hosts.allow (I think -- I don't actually use libwrap
myself, see hosts_access(5)).

Y.